Thursday, June 11, 2009

Kidney Infections are the Pits

In an effort to make it seem like summer is here (since the weather certainly isn't doing its part) I have been making sweet sun tea to drink. The only problem is I am addicted to it. I make it with splenda so it is calorie free and oh so refreshing. Anyways, I have been drinking A LOT of tea. I have been drinking through 1 of the sun tea containers in about a day to 2 days. Apparantely that is really bad for your kidneys. Not to mention Splenda isn't good for your kidneys either. Talk about your double whammy!

On Monday afternoon (probably 3 weeks into my tea obsession) I was sitting on the couch and kinda felt crummy and thought it felt really hot in my house. I blew it off figuring it was just because it was humid outside. As the day went on I continued to feel ick off and on. Nothing huge, and I wasn't nauseous so I just ignored it.

Later that evening, while I was watching the Bachelorette, I got up to let the dogs in and I felt like I hit a brick wall. All of the sudden my head and neck hurt, I was shivering and shaking and my back started to throb. I finished the show (priorities) and went back took 2 Motrin took my temp which was like 100.8 and ran a tub. I turned the jets on and let them hit on my back. By this time my back was hurting enought that the jets were actually painful to me.

So I went to bed assuming that I was getting the flu. By morning when I realized I was still not sick to my stomach and I was actually hungry and my back was hurting worse than ever I started to wonder if maybe this was a kidney infection. I had one right after I had Nick and that pain is not something you ever forget.

After going to the bathroom and it being painful in my back I knew this was the problem. I called the doctor and fortunately she called in a script for me. I picked it up and immediately started taking it. She called in Bactrim. I took the first and a couple hours later I felt sick to my stomach. I figured it was just the infection because after a while it passed.

Well as the days have gone on the nausea persists about 4 hours after I take the meds. So today I called back and they called in Macrobid. So hopefully tomorrow I am feeling great again.

The good news out of the whole thing is that the antibiotics did take care of the kidney infections rather quickly. Within about 4 hours the pain was less and withing 24 it was gone.

So I guess moral of the story is that Sun Tea is good by the glass full not by the gallons. STINK! Now I have to find a new summer obsession. Or maybe just enjoy that one in moderation (what's that?)

No comments:

Post a Comment